Join the team
Head of Coffee/Head Barista
We are a speciality coffee roaster located in the tropical far north city of Cairns. Established in 2010, the business was rebranded in 2019 to White Whale Coffee Roasters (formally Industry One Coffee) as a nod to a founding principle of the business - to give back. White Whale teamed up with the Reef Restoration Foundation, giving a portion of all beans sales to assist them in establishing more ocean-based coral nurseries to help regenerate damaged coral reefs on the Great Barrier Reef. Our passion remains consistent a decade on, to roast and serve the very best coffee in Cairns and to deliver this coffee all over Australia to the awesome speciality coffee community, while reducing our environmental footprint as much as possible. With new Probat UG22 on way and a new specialty coffee store opening in Cairns’ premier suburb of Edge Hill in March 2021, we are seeking to grow our leadership team.
We are looking for someone to create, manage and lead the coffee program at White Whale Coffee Roasters. This is newly created position, therefore, you will be required to take ownership and build the coffee program from the ground up.
The successful applicant will be experienced in all aspects of coffee, from running a smooth and efficient espresso bar to working alongside the roasting team. You will have an investigative nature, lead by example and be willing to share your own thoughts and ideas about coffee.
You will require a mix of introverted and extroverted qualities, which will allow you to hone in on the detail, but equally enjoy engaging and sharing coffee knowledge with an array of people from diverse backgrounds.
Main roles & responsibilities:
- Develop, train and manage in-house & coffee partner baristas
- Teach basic to advanced barista skills the public, including free-pour latte art
- Oversee and manage all aspects of coffee quality assurance, including working alongside the roasting team on roast & blend development, creating and maintaining brew recipes, and upholding service standards
- Assist marketing with social media and other marketing content
- Engage and enhance the retail customer experience
- Drive excellence in coffee & uphold professionalism at every level
- Work on the bar and lead by example
You will be suited to this role if you are:
- A self-starter who is enthusiastic & passionate about coffee
- An experienced specialty barista looking for a more diverse role
- Passionate about bringing those around you up, by developing their skills and ability
- Flexible and adaptable and can apply this to coffee, people & situations
- Capable of solving problems
- A clear and effective communicator and are not afraid to speak your mind
- Q Grader qualification (advantageous)
- Some coffee technician experience (advantageous)
Please apply with a CV and cover letter detailing your experience.
We look forward to hearing from you.